Go Back   Sonos Forums > Speakers and More...

Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:07 AM

Default Bedroom/bathroom speakers

Hi - Am about to embark on a master bed/bath remodel and want to install a new Sonos zone and speakers for each room. Looking for recommendations.

Criteria:

Bedroom

- music will be mostly played at low volume so want good crisp sound at low volume
- am thinking 4 wall-mounted or in-ceiling speakers plus a subwoofer
- looking to keep under $1000 for set if poss.
- recommendations pl?

Bathroom

- leaning towards Sonance Extreme XTR or Extreme XSSTR (2 tweeters) in-ceiling speakers
- bathroom is 6' x 14' and shower 6' x 4' with 10' ceiling...should I get two pairs, or is one speaker in the bathroom and one in the shower enough?
- other speaker recommendations?

Appreciate thoughts.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM

Two ZP120's and a controller (CR200/iPhone/iPod Touch) will suffice. If you cannot wire one of the ZP120's to your network (either directly to the router or via ethernet plug in your wall) you would need a ZoneBridge for attaching to the router. Note that you will need 8 Ohm speakers because each ZP120 can power 2 pairs of 8 Ohm speakers.

As for the bathroom, I would not recommend a single speaker in the shower and a single in the room. That configuration would mean only a single channel of the stereo signal would reach the shower and the room. You would need a stereo signal to each part to get full stereo sound. I recommend a pair of stereo speakers for the room itself, and a single waterproof speaker that will accept a stereo signal in the shower. That way you will get both channels of sound to both areas of the room. Here's an example:

Sonance 60W Waterproof In-Ceiling Single Stereo Speaker - XSST
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM

Thanks jgatie.

I already have Sonos elsewhere, so will just be adding 2 ZP120s, as you suggest.

So really looking for speaker recommendations for the bedroom for low volume clarity.

Yes, for the bathroom, those Sonance speakers that you linked to are what I'm looking at. Assuming I go with two in the bathroom and two in the shower, should I get the ones with a single tweeter or double? Does it matter? I assume the double tweeter version is designed specifically for instances where you only install one speaker, but with two speakers in the shower will the 'single tweeters' sound better?
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM

You could go two in the shower, but in a 4x6 space, that's a little crowded. THe single speaker that carries a stereo signal is tailor made for showers. You install one speaker, but it carries both the l and R signal.