Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Default Adding 2nd Bridge & Moving Speaker?

Well....added another Play 3 to my system yesterday and ended up with another Bridge with the purchase. I will eventually have another Play 3 for my balcony and so figured I could use this extra Bridge as an "extender" of the Sonos network and to boost the signal through the glass to the outside speaker. So, the question is what is involved with adding a 2nd Bridge? Will that conflict with the Bridge now hooked up to my router? Do I add the 2nd Bridge by clicking on the "Add a Sonos Component" or do I just plug it in and the system will recognize it? I haven't tested a Play 3 on the balcony yet, so the extra Bridge might not even be necessary, but at least I have it in case it is needed.

Also, until I get an additional Play 3 for the balcony, if I unplug an existing Play 3 (say, the one now located in the Bedroom) and move it to the balcony, do I have to add this again to the network or just plug it in and it will be recognized as the Bedroom speaker? Thanks for the help on these questions.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 05:56 AM

clemgrad85,

"Add a Sonos Component" for the new bridge -- done.

Bridges can be wired or not, as required by your physical situation. Once a component has been added to a system, the system "owns" that component and ownership survives power outages. As you physically move components, wire and unwire, add or delete components, the system will automatically reconfigure the connections as needed.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:13 AM

So, with the addition of a 2nd Bridge, it simply extends the reach of the Sonos system, correct?

I'll move a Play 3 to the balcony and see how it does through the glass doors first before adding the 2nd Bridge. I guess no need to have it working if not really needed, or does it just make the whole wireless system a bit stronger? Any negatives for having the 2nd Bridge working if not truly needed?

Thanks again for the info.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:22 AM

clemgrad85,

While you should not hesitate adding the BRIDGE if there is any question about coverage, the BRIDGE will add a (very) small amount of wireless pollution.

There is a 32 component limit to a SONOS network and BRIDGE counts as one component.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:33 AM

I had no idea about the 32 component limit, but that would just put me at 5 components, so plenty of room to spare!
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:16 AM

So what is the point of adding a 2nd Bridge?
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascot Dec85 View Post
So what is the point of adding a 2nd Bridge?
It extends and strengthens the Sonos network where required.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lhc View Post
It extends and strengthens the Sonos network where required.
Thanks!

How many units would you consider it necessary to add another bridge?
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascot Dec85 View Post
Thanks!

How many units would you consider it necessary to add another bridge?
It isn't necessary at all, a bridge is simply a Zoneplayer without the music playing functionality, every Zoneplayer will add to and extend the Mesh network, an additional bridge is only required if the location you want to add a Player is out of reach of the rest of the Sonos network, due to distance or thick walls etc, so you'd add a bridge halfway between the network and the remote player.

Basically if you're not having any issues you don't need an extra bridge. If you have a lot of Zoneplayers you're actually less likely to need an extra bridge, rather than more likely.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lhc View Post
It isn't necessary at all, a bridge is simply a Zoneplayer without the music playing functionality, every Zoneplayer will add to and extend the Mesh network, an additional bridge is only required if the location you want to add a Player is out of reach of the rest of the Sonos network, due to distance or thick walls etc, so you'd add a bridge halfway between the network and the remote player.

Basically if you're not having any issues you don't need an extra bridge. If you have a lot of Zoneplayers you're actually less likely to need an extra bridge, rather than more likely.
Cool, thanks