Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 01:59 AM

Question Offline setup without internet?

I have a Play 5 working fine at home. I want to travel with the speaker and my laptop. What options are for me to use Sonos as a speaker?

1. Line in - I am quite disappointed after setting up the line in at home as source and while traveling to realize that it does not play.

2. Wifi - How to create a Sonos setup (while traveling) using a wifi router, a bridge if necessary, network cable and the laptop with wifi?

any help?
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikai View Post
1. Line in - I am quite disappointed after setting up the line in at home as source and while traveling to realize that it does not play.
You'd need to configure it for Line-In Autoplay before disconnecting it from your network. See https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1271

Quote:
2. Wifi - How to create a Sonos setup (while traveling) using a wifi router, a bridge if necessary, network cable and the laptop with wifi?
If you were to carry a wireless router with you then you'd have a self-contained system. You would of course need to connect the router's WAN port to the Internet to stream radio and online services. If the only Internet connection available was via WiFi you could add a separate wireless Ethernet bridge to connect your router's WAN port to the network. A 'WiFi-as-WAN' router combines both functions into one box.

A further option would be to have your laptop connect to a WiFi service, wire the Bridge to its Ethernet port and use Internet Connect Sharing. This basically makes the laptop operate as a router. However you would not be able to use an iOS/Android device to control your Sonos.