Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Sep 13th, 2013, 11:39 PM

Default Scrobble to last.fm from line-in?

Hi,

I have a Sonos Connect:AMP and use it quite often to listen to cd's. Is it possible to scrobble that music to last.fm? Thanks for any answers!

Stijn

(PS: Yes, I know I could rip all my cd's and enjoy better sound and comfort and whatnot )
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 06:07 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I don't see how this could be accomplished without some kind of Shazam-style song detection. Sonos doesn't know what's coming in on the Line-In connection -- there's no metadata or any identification of any kind -- so it would have no native provisions for making the reports to last.fm.
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 01:06 AM

Thank you for your answer.

So (if I understand you correctly), it's not possible to scrobble from the line-in at the moment, however it would be possible to add this functionality, but far from trivial?
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 06:09 AM

This would almost certainly be something for a 3rd-party developer. I can't imagine Sonos investing any time in such an endeavor -- and it may not be possible without external hardware anyway (or maybe it is, I have no idea).

There are a few forum participants that do some nifty things with scrobbling already; perhaps one of them can chime in on feasibility here. In the meantime, join the 21st century and rip your CD's to a NAS. Although it's not perfect by any stretch, scrobbling is easier when the tracks are already known.
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 07:04 AM

I know a 75 year old retired school teacher who ripped her library of about 60 CD's in day one of her SONOS ownership.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 06:14 AM

I'm guessing you are playing your CDs on a standalone player.

Another option if you were playing the CDs from a computer would be if the computer did a CDDB lookup for the CD in question, and scrobbled that way. It's probably way easier than doing audio detection

But as others have stated, ripping the CDs is probably much more 2013.