Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:06 AM
Digital Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
The fail-safe is of course supposed to be the Chime....
That's fine if your internet goes down, but not if the player drops off the Sonos network.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Digital Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Spyder View Post
I've also had alarms fail on me recently
-Snip-
Will report back as I find out more.
My alarms are working again after getting help from Sonos support (great experience, very helpful and friendly BTW).

Looks like the problem wasn't the upgrade itself (my thought based on the fix), but something related to either how the sonos rebooted after the upgrade or when I had a power cut and the only wired sonos was no longer the "main" sonos. Anyway, after getting this fixed by ensuring the wired sonos was enabled as the first sonos device ("FirstZP"), deleting all the alarms and redoing them, everything is back to normal.

As a bonus, sonus support also checked out the wireless performance of the system and by suggesting that I move the wired ZP a short distance away from the wireless router, improved the signal to some of the other ZPs.

Hope this helps others who may have alarm problems after an upgrade, power cut or rebooting the ZPs.

- AV Spyder
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Looks like the problem wasn't the upgrade itself (my thought based on the fix), but something related to either how the sonos rebooted after the upgrade or when I had a power cut and the only wired sonos was no longer the "main" sonos. Anyway, after getting this fixed by ensuring the wired sonos was enabled as the first sonos device ("FirstZP"), deleting all the alarms and redoing them, everything is back to normal.
Out of interest, in the wake of the power cut did you ever factory reset any component? That's the obvious way that the 'root' (or "main" as you put it) unit might change. Upgrades or simply power-cycling the devices should never affect the identity of the 'root'.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Digital Expert

Quote:
Out of interest, in the wake of the power cut did you ever factory reset any component? That's the obvious way that the 'root' (or "main" as you put it) unit might change. Upgrades or simply power-cycling the devices should never affect the identity of the 'root'.
No, I didn't factory reset any components. The power cut only impacted the 'root' ZP, others were still powered up but lost network connectivity since they are only on the sonos wireless network.

I had another power cut over the weekend and this morning the alarm didn't go off, so there is definitely a link here. This didn't happen on the previous firmware (the power cuts are fairly regular - it's actually the MCB tripping in one room). I've not had the alarms fail before (worst case, the chime would go off if there was no network connectivity).

Perhaps there is a change in the firmware on how the power cut impacts the ZP? I'm in 2 minds - phone sonos support so that they can check the diagnostic to get to the bottom of this or just follow the same procedure as they suggested to see if I can get the alarms working again.

I think the issue is actually with the system clock. The power cut appears to cause the date and time to not be set when the 'root' ZP Is powered up again (even though it is supposed to set it from the internet).

Toggling off/on the "set time from Internet" setting still doesn't set the time (from an iPad or iPhone). Also tried from a cr200 controller and the time still didn't set. Eventually got it to set but alarms still not working.

- AV Spyder
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 09:45 AM

Are your controllers actually showing a wildly incorrect time then? The time servers used are evidently
Code:
0.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
1.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
2.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
3.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
See if you can ping them.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Digital Expert

Quote:
Are your controllers actually showing a wildly incorrect time then? The time servers used are evidently
Code:
0.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
1.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
2.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
3.sonostime.pool.ntp.org
See if you can ping them.
Hi ratty. Thanks for your suggestions and help, I appreciate it.

I'll check next time I have a power cut what the controllers show (I have a cr100 and cr200 but mostly now use the iPhone/iPad apps). I notice after a power cut if I go into the app, it says date and time not set, however not sure if I've actually noticed the time on the clock on any of the controllers to see how far out it is.

I can successfully ping all the above ntp servers except the first one (0.sonostime.pool.ntp.org).

I've found that power cycling the ZPs (powering up the root first) does the trick for the alarms. I needed to delete them and redo them but they are now working again (didn't have the patience to wait until tomorrow morning to phone sonos support).

Next time I'll try and be a little more structured about the steps I take to get the alarms working (fairly sure the next power cut will cause a failure again).

I wonder if it has anything to do with the sonos starting up faster than the router/modem and trying to set the time but not finding the ntp servers? I could try simulating a partial power cut (ie just the root sonos) and seeing if the alarms work, and then trying a full power cut (pulling the plug on the router, modem and root sonos) and seeing what happens. Probably not going to get a chance tonight but if I have time tomorrow after work, I may try this out.

- AV Spyder
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I wonder if it has anything to do with the sonos starting up faster than the router/modem and trying to set the time but not finding the ntp servers?
Anything's possible, but since Sonos units go into a fast DHCP poll for 2 minutes after booting (in case the router and/or a Sonos Bridge are slow off the mark) one would have thought that NTP would also be polled until time has actually been set.

Tags
alarm