Go Back   Sonos Forums > Speakers and More...

Old Oct 15th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Default Play 1 Mount and wiring?

Own a playbar and sub. That was easy. Now I want to add two Play 1 in the rear for surround sound.

Problem is, my rear is problematic (lol). I'm pretty much going to have to mount them on plates and run additional electrical.

Anyone have any handy guides on this type of thing?
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 06:29 AM

Warangel,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

The mounting boss is a 1/4-20 thread. This is a standard used for camera tripods, microphone stands, and many speaker mounting brackets. The commercial speaker mounting brackets are nice, but they place the speaker farther from the wall than I prefer. You can fashion your own bracket with a flat plate, a 1/4-20 bolt and some extra nuts and washers to stabilize the speaker orientation. Push the bolt (cut to size) through from the rear of the plate and secure with a nut on the front. Place an extra, free nut on the bolt and screw on PLAY:1, locking PLAY:1 in place with the free nut. For electrical power, use a recessed outlet (sometimes called a "clock receptacle") behind PLAY:1.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
The mounting boss is a 1/4-20 thread. This is a standard used for camera tripods, microphone stands, and many speaker mounting brackets. The commercial speaker mounting brackets are nice, but they place the speaker farther from the wall than I prefer. You can fashion your own bracket with a flat plate, a 1/4-20 bolt and some extra nuts and washers to stabilize the speaker orientation. Push the bolt (cut to size) through from the rear of the plate and secure with a nut on the front. Place an extra, free nut on the bolt and screw on PLAY:1, locking PLAY:1 in place with the free nut. For electrical power, use a recessed outlet (sometimes called a "clock receptacle") behind PLAY:1.
Are there any commercial speaker mounts (for those of us who fear screwing up the wall it's mounted on) that you (or others here) have had good experience with and like? I'm considering a Pinpoint AM24, but I'm sure there must be others that are good/compatible.

Right now, my Play:1 is sitting precariously on a bathroom window sill, waiting for the cat to see if it can knock it off. I'd like to mount it on the adjacent wall. Soon.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Default Cool

So we can use cheap photography tripods as speaker stands?...I like
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:35 PM

pmallett,

Yes, but be mindful of stability because a PLAY:1 or PLAY:3 attached to a tripod is likely to be very top heavy.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 04:38 AM

RE: making your own Play:1 mount -- I came across these speaker mounts for another manufacturer, they claim to hold 10lbs on their 1/4 20 screw... Reckon something like that would work? Either with or without a plate Ebay link for you

Although I'm tempted by these purpose-built adjustable brackets which look the same as flexon but cheaper... Any of you had any experience with this seller? Even though the prices are in British pounds they offer free shipping and a better return policy/warranty than the flexon resellers here.Wall mounts for Play:1. I might get a pair as soon as they are in stock if nobody else wants to be a guinea pig! I don't like spending money when I could DIY my own solution but after all the hassle figuring out a DIY job I will probably just go for these if they're any good - I can always return them if I'm unhappy.
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 02:02 AM

Hi Jonny S,

Thanks for that info, those brackets look good! I think I will be getting one of those for my new Play:1 ;-)
Shall I post a review once I've got the bracket?

Cheers Larry
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 02:16 AM

Those ones look like they'd allow you to mount the P:1 upside down as well, the Flexson ones don't (I asked the distributor), interesting...
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 09:09 AM

Any U.S. sellers of Play 1 mounts?