Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Sep 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Default sonos playbar help

I just purchased the playbar even though my tv doesn't have optical out. I did connect the optical out from my hd cable box and it seems to be working. I am just not sure it sounds all that great. I have to put the sonos volume almost all the way up for it to sound decent. Is there any other way to use this in my situation. I read about hdmi splitters with optical out...could that be an answer for me. I would like to use the sonos with my tv, dvr, xbox 360, wii u, ps3 and so on. What can I do?
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM

surround,

An HDMI switcher with optical out would be an answer for connecting all of your sources, but it would not resolve the issue that you are having with the volume control.

SONOS units are not like other units that will probably run into distortion as you raise the volume control to maximum. Since there is no hard standard for analog signals exiting cable boxes, disc players, tape decks, phonos, etc., it is customary for analog inputs have some extra amplification to accommodate a range of devices. This opens the possibility that a high output device will simply play too loud, beyond the safe operating range, if the volume control is set to maximum, while a low output device might work out exactly right at an advanced volume control setting.

A digital data stream is simply a set of numbers with a certain number of bits. The volume simply cannot go beyond the maximum value. SONOS has arranged things such that the maximum number generates the maximum safe power. Therefore there is no penalty for running the volume control at or near maximum.

Some users simply cannot make the transition from old style electronics and the new digital electronics where volume control settings use different rules. Some users seek units that play very loudly at a low volume control setting, assuming that this is a sign of quality. (actually the very high quality units force the user to rotate the volume control farther than the low quality units for equivalent acoustic output) If, at maximum volume, PLAYBAR does not play loud enough for your tastes, regardless of the volume control setting, then you need more amplifier power and PLAYBAR is not appropriate for your needs.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Well, ok then. I guess I was hoping for more. I am actually getting a dolby digital signal too. I am an early adopter and have had my sonos system for years. I have 4 original zone players, 2 play 5's and now the play bar. I have loved my sonos system for years and have told everyone I know about it. I am not sure what to do? hmmm...
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM

Is there a setting in the cable box for the optical output? Some track the box's volume settings (which may not be readily apparent) and can be set to 'fixed' output so that it provides a signal intended for downstream volume control.