Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Mar 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM

Default Sonos sound capabilities w/ laptop

Hi,

I recently purchased a set of Sonos speakers (and a bridge). I'm very pleased with the purchase as far as sound, but I have a functionality problem that might be a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I e-mailed the Sonos customer support contact several days ago, but didn't receive a response.

My question is - apart from playing my music files, can I play other types of audio from my laptop? In other words, could I play the audio from a DVD movie I'm watching on my computer? Or, say, the streaming audio from music on YouTube or a Netflix film? And if this isn't a natural function, would there be any way to make it happen?

Sonos was a big draw for me due to its quality, the home router with various features, etc, but unfortunately, not having this would cut my sound usage in half. I would still rely on the tinny computer speakers for any other sources of music/audio, which I don't want to do. I'd like wireless speakers that can play any media content from my computer. I had seen systems that do this through, say, Bluetooth, but lacked many of the home network functions, which is why I chose Sonos.

Thanks so much for your help; I appreciate it!
Cheers.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 08:13 AM

Hi Zephyr! --

I guess you will find some (not straightforward) answers to do what you want there: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=18009

- Cheers -
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 08:29 AM

To go short: Yes you can, but not wireless (officially)
The easiest way is to connect your line-out to a line in on your Zoneplayers.
(As long as you do not have Play:3's, they do not have a line in)
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:24 AM

Default Sonos plays dedicated "music" files not audio from movies

You're trying to port the soundtrack portion of a video file through Sonos. I don't think that will work as the "music library" is looking for and cataloging a collection of MP3 and WAV files only.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
You're trying to port the soundtrack portion of a video file through Sonos.
No, the OP is trying to direct PC audio to Sonos. The thread which WifiStrut directed him to is helpful, but any network-based solution is going to incur unacceptable delay for lip-syncing with PC video (unless you have an app which delays video too).

The best compromise is indeed an analog connection from PC sound card to Sonos Line-In. There will still be a tiny delay in the Sonos system (~70ms) but not usually enough to disturb lip-sync. If one can't bear to be tethered then use Bluetooth from the PC to a Bluetooth audio receiver wired to a Sonos Line-In.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 03:23 PM

Some excellent insight, thank you!

I was about to return the system, especially after finding Cust Serv unresponsive, but clearly, I have a lot to read about. I'll dig into the other thread and look at my choices.

I don't mind some kind of compromise, but I don't want to have to buy another system just for watching web content, DVDs, etc - makes no sense. I'm surprised Sonos didn't add that as a feature or optional add-on (maybe for technical reasons?).

I still have a while to decide if the system is a keeper, so I'll get fully informed and go from there.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 06:29 AM

I do this by 1) having an Airport express in the Sonos mix and 2) using the "Airfoil" software (there are others) to hijack any system sounds and pipe them to Airport.

I used to do this alot with the Spotify app (for non-subscribers), before they went to the limited usage model.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 07:02 AM

Airfoil/Airport works very well, but it injects another 3-4 seconds of delay. For sync with YouTube video it's pretty much a non-starter I'm afraid.