Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Mar 7th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Default Why can't I connect to my music library

Friends,

I bought my Sonos system in December, 2009. Everything activated fine (controller 200, zone bridge 100, four zones). I got a new computer last month. I reinstalled the Sonos software. It still works well, except that when I try to connect to my music library, I receive the message "unable to play [song I requested] unable to connect to //new-host2/music" The search function finds the song; it just won't play it. I have reconnected my library, etc., but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM

sbsnyder001,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

There are two major possibilities.

First, SONOS stores the library index inside of the ZonePlayers. As far as controlling the SONOS system a computer is optional. Therefore, changing computers does not upset the SONOS library index. However, if the new computer has a different share name from the old computer, the SONOS index will point to the former library and play will fail.

If you changed names of the share, either rename the share to the old name or delete the old share from the SONOS system and add the new share name. This will not change anything on your computer, but it will align the share names that SONOS uses with the new situation.

Second, the new firewall may be blocking SONOS.

Based on the message that you quoted, the second reason is the more likely issue.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Default follow-up

Thanks for the reply. If the system doesn't recognize the library, how come it can find the song, but not connect?
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM

sbsnyder001,

The index inside of the ZonePlayers contains the full path and file name of the music tracks. The SONOS system does not know or care that you replaced your computer, nothing changed inside the ZonePlayers. When you select a track from the SONOS index, the ZonePlayer simply asks the network to deliver the file. If the file name (or the share name) has changed, the network will send back an error message.

Firewalls are instructed to block file requests by applications that are not registered as being "safe". If your new firewall has not been notified that SONOS is an approved device, SONOS will be blocked from playing any tracks stored on the computer.

Since SONOS access the Internet directly, you computer firewall cannot block Internet Radio or the music services.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM

Thanks