Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM

Question Problem with iPhone app (iPhone 3GS)

I have been using the iPhone app for about a month, but over the last 2 days or so, the app has had an intermittent problem controlling the system.

The screen will go to the "Zone Menu" and simply show all the zones in my home with the option "press to update". If I press the update button, it simply says "No updates are required. Your Sonos Multi-Room Music System is up to date". When I press "done" it goes back to that same "Zone Menu" screen.

I have tried resetting my iPhone, restarting the Sonos app, and even resetting the connection between my Sonos app/iPhone and Sonos system.

I have read through the related threads on this forum and haven't seen any solution that works. My system has a Zone Bridge, 3 Sonos "zones", 3 Controllers (the older iPod style) and 2 iPhone 3GS phones with the Sonos App. My music is stored on an iMac connected via an Airport Extreme. I have a strong connection to the network throughout my home. In fact, it seems that I have more problems with the app not working the CLOSER I am to the base station (don't seem to have as many problems when I went downstairs; my iMac and Airport Extreme is upstairs).

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM

cnote2001,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

When you say "3 Controllers (the older iPod style)," are these the SONOS CR100 or an older iPhone? Does the iPhone that you are using to control the SONOS system have any trouble accessing the Internet?

If you are using a SONOS desktop controller, is this controller able to operate the SONOS system?
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM

Sorry about the description. The main 3 controllers are the CR-100 controllers (couldn't remember the exact model number). They still function normally with the Sonos system. I am only having the problem with the iPhone app (which didn't have this problem until recently).

I have no problems using the iPhone 3GS to access the internet. I even ran a Speedtest from my iPhone and got 8.24Mbps/0.84Mbps speeds (wifi).

I should also note that after a recent Sonos update, I no longer had the option of adding "all tracks" when adding an iTunes playlist to the Queue (on both the CR100's or iPhone app). Mysteriously, that option returned on the iPhone app, but not on the CR100 controllers. It seemed that it was after this change that I noticed the intermittent problem with the iPhones.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote2001 View Post
I should also note that after a recent Sonos update, I no longer had the option of adding "all tracks" when adding an iTunes playlist to the Queue (on both the CR100's or iPhone app). Mysteriously, that option returned on the iPhone app, but not on the CR100 controllers. It seemed that it was after this change that I noticed the intermittent problem with the iPhones.
That is a known bug of the 3.0 Firmware.

Regarding the iPhone: Do you have the 3.0 Sonos app version, or is it still an older one? Check the app store whether a newer version is available.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM

I have the latest version of the iPhone app (Version 3.0 - iPhone OS 3.0 tested). The app store says that all of my apps are currently "up to date".
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM

My sons phone did the same, we uninstalled and reinstalled, then it worked

2 Play:5
2 Connect:amp
1 Matte Sub
1 Connect
2 Play:1
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM

I seem to remember a couple other customers trying the completely uninstall and completely re-install route and having success.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM

This is very frustrating. I have had this system for a little over a year and it has been completely trouble free until now.

I completely uninstalled the iPhone app and even reset the iPhone controller a couple of times since then with no improvement. I usually choose the "update all" option with app updates, so I don't know what recent updates may have been downloaded for this Sonos Controller app. But I didn't have a single connection problem until the last week or so, even though nothing else with my network or Sonos system has changed during that time.

It looks like this app needs an update to work out the bugs.

Tags
app, connection problems, iphone