Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Default Unable to play file -- Share does not exist

Hi everyone,

I've been using my Sonos system for a little under a week now and have noticed an intermittent issue that is troubling me.

Sometimes when I try to play a file in my Music Library I get an error message like this: "Unable to play file <filename> <sharename> does not exist".

My library is stored on an external hard drive and the drive is on and connected when I get the message.

I haven't pinpointed a direct correlation but it seems that if I have the drive turned off while, say, listening to internet radio, then turn the drive on and try to access a file from the Music Library that the error occurs.

Restarting the Desktop Controller has no effect. Sometimes a reboot of my computer fixes things, sometimes it doesn't.

Has anyone else experienced behaviour like this and any advice for my situation?

Thank you.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Sonos Support Team

Hello Ollie,

Welcome to the Sonos Forums! The problem seems to be related to the files on your External Drive losing their permissions when the drive is powered down. These permissions are necessary for Windows to share the files with Sonos over the network. There are 2 ways to get around this that I can see:

1. Leave the drive powered on all the time.

2. Open your Sonos Desktop Controller, and proceed to Preferences. Click on the Advanced tab, and check the box that says "Fix permissions when updating the Sonos music index on this computer." Whenever you power the drive back on, you will need to click Music, and then Update Music Index Now.

I hope this answers your question/resolves the problems you have been seeing. If it doesn't, please contact Sonos Support via the link in my signature, and cite this forum post as a reference point.

-Sid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Hi ollie. It would probably help if you also outlined what you have in the way of zoneplayers and whether they are connected by wire or wirelessly.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid - Sonos View Post
1. Leave the drive powered on all the time.

2. Open your Sonos Desktop Controller, and proceed to Preferences. Click on the Advanced tab, and check the box that says "Fix permissions when updating the Sonos music index on this computer." Whenever you power the drive back on, you will need to click Music, and then Update Music Index Now.
Thanks Sid!

#1 is out of the question as I power down my system during the work day and overnight.

I'll give #2 a shot and see how it goes. However, it doesn't seem like a very convenient solution, especially if updating the index takes more than a few seconds. Even then, having to open preferences anytime I want to listen to my library seems like an unnecessary hurdle for a system that is touted to do everything so seamlessly. This is a big part of the reason I spent the extra $$$ over getting a Squeezebox system.

I suppose a long term solution would be to move my library to an NAS but that requires an investment of dollars I didn't think I'd need going with the higher end wireless option.

My setup is a ZP120 plugged directly into my router, and a ZP90 (running wirelessly) plugged into the receiver in my living room.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Does the problem occur on both the wired ZP120 and the wireless ZP90?
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks to the tip re: sharing I was able to pinpoint the source of the problem.

If I don't have the external drive powered on when the computer boots the network shares that Sonos requires are not established. Typically I boot my laptop then switch on the external drive when I want to listen to music. That's why I was running into the problem so often. I'll just make sure to switch it on before I boot. Incidentally, if I turn the drive off *after* the computer is booted then switch it back on Sonos can still see it. So it's all about establishing that initial network connection with the drive.

Another option is to manually turn on the required shares via Windows Explorer if I forget to power on the external drive before boot.

I tried running "Update Music Index Now" to see if that also solved the problem but I received the same error about not being able to find the share. So it's obviously a Windows networking issue, apologies for implying it was a problem with Sonos! Chalk it up to new buyer's angst. I'm just happy to know it's not some random problem I have no control over.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Would it be possible to instead use a network attached storage device (NAS)? technically, the sonos requires either a powered-on computer OR an NAS to run as smooth as you were hoping. Using a USB drive will work, but as the sonos staff mentioned, it requires a bit of tweaking.

I was originally not wanting to spend the money on the NAS, but ended up picking up a nice d-link enclosure for about $150, threw a couple 500 gig discs in, and I am much more happy than when I was turning on my computer each time. Plus, they bring a lot more to the table than just helping with the Sonos. Just a thought!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Default Same problem

Hi!
I think I have the same problem.
I'm running my music libary (I Tunes) on a minimac (mac os 10.5) wireless to 3 zones and wired to one zonebridges.
Still I'm losing connection and it lookes like the problem are in the windows network but I still not know what to do

I have at least 5 times tried to uninstalled controller 2.8 for mac and reinstalled, getting tierd of doing that!
Still I'm fixing the firewall and also the "sharing-tab" acessing I Tunes music libary.

So if any one know what to do, please describe it to a beginner....

Dasiy
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM

I can at least help with what the problem is NOT. since the sonos controller application for your computer is only a controller, that won't need to be reinstalled if you have issues with the music files. technically speaking, the sonos zone players are asking for the files and all the communication is between them if something works or fails. the controller (desktop application or handheld) simply tells the sonos players what to ask for.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 04:24 AM

Default Same problem but windows media service works!?

I have the same problem, except I've had it for a year now. The strange thing is that I can still access my mp3s using sonos via the "windows media" service, just not through the sonos library. It seems to happen after I've downloaded something via itunes or azureus, so I suspect it might be something to do with my router...

The equipment I have is: 2 zp100s and 3 zp80s, Dlink router DIR-855, a virgin media 50 meg broadband. The files are located on my HTPC which is connected to my router as is a zp80.

I have already tried changing the option to fix permissions. When I try to upgrade the library, sonos says that the share is no longer available. The problem magically fixes itself with time, but always recurs.

Last edited by pragma; Aug 21st, 2009 at 04:31 AM. Reason: have zp100s not zp120s