Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Default suddenly my music keeps stuttering or stopping

I had quite a few problems with Sonos but finally got everything up and running smoothly however today the system just doesn't want to play. the music keeps stuttering and stopping. this is both new music and music that has been on there for a while. I have changed to channel to 11 - I only have 1 6 or 11 and it hasn't helped. any suggestions ?? I am going to shut everything down and update all stystem AGAIN to see if this helps.........
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Hello Janet, this sounds like wireless interference to me. Are there any new electronic gadgets around the house or at the neigbours?

Try Sonos support, they will be able to tell you whether it is interference or not.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Janet, your problem seems much like mine. I like to play music while I sleep but it would always skip. It is usually the case that I run numeric simulations on my computer overnight which eat resources. This causes the computer to slow down. The sonos server has to pull the music of the computer in order to play it but you computer has to send the file which requires it to have open resources. To solve this problem I got a networkable hard drive. This bypasses your computer. Since I switched to this method I haven't had a problem. To see if this is your problem you should wire the zoneplayer to the router as a test. If it stops skipping you have a wireless problem if it still skips the network hard drive might just be the trick.
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM

Janet

I had this problem too (on two different set-ups). I cannot praise Sonos support highly enough: I really recommend you get on to them as soon as you can, and let them help you diagnose (and, more importantly, fix) the problem.

T
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM

I had a similar problem with music from my NAS. Internet radio was fine. A new network cable between the zoneplayer and the NAS, and so far the dropouts have gone. Hope I haven't just jinxed it!
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Digital Expert

I have this issue too, but I haven't had a chance to call support yet. It happens on my music, and on line-in (a FM radio) when uncompressed, but compressed line-in is fine.

I am wondering why there are only three radio frequencies available (1/6/11). There are several wireless networks at my neighbours houses and all three channels are in use. It's a shame I can't pick 2-5 or 7-10, some of which aren't in use. Is it possible to 'unlock' them?
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imightbewrong View Post
I have this issue too, but I haven't had a chance to call support yet. It happens on my music, and on line-in (a FM radio) when uncompressed, but compressed line-in is fine.

I am wondering why there are only three radio frequencies available (1/6/11). There are several wireless networks at my neighbours houses and all three channels are in use. It's a shame I can't pick 2-5 or 7-10, some of which aren't in use. Is it possible to 'unlock' them?
The reason the lock them out is because the band in use actually spans 5 channels. So channel 1 spans 1-5, channel 6 spans 6-10. If you used channel 3, you'd be seeing interference over 2 "main" channels instead of one, which is worse.