Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 05:40 AM

Default Problems with Buffalo Linkstation Pro NAS

Can anyone enlighten me before I give up on my Buffalo Linkstation Pro? I have sent it 190GB of music in an eight-hour send via 5e ethernet cable and my Belkin 802.11g router. It has arrived, because I can see the folders and open them in the share. But only about half the albums are playable from the NAS via Sonos. Bafflingly, this is random - the albums the controller can't access are interspersed with those it can. I have spent a long, long time looking for a pattern from the initial rip onwards but there is none that I can see. It is tantalising, because the Linkstation works perfectly with the albums it does offer up to Sonos. Here are the clues, and my suspicions.
1. I'm using an Intel Mac Mini (with firewire-linked LaCie hard disk) and Buffalo does not seem as well set up for Macintosh as Windows (I have Windows sharing turned on incidentally).
2. The CDs have been ripped in Apple Lossless and are nearly all classical, so files are large, and there has been a massive editing operation in iTunes to get rid of excess track information and split the CDs into component works.
3. The Linkstation offers a variety of ethernet frame sizes which it says, without explanation, can improve data transfer efficiency. I have stuck with the default (1,518 bytes, the slowest - it can go up to 9,694 bytes). Experimenting presumably means wiping the disk and starting again.
4. I have used the handheld controller to update the music index while the computer is off and the Linkstation is on - no difference.
5. It is the randomness that keeps me awake at night. A NAS is the ideal solution for me - why doesn't it work?
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 06:03 AM

what is the actual problem? You mention about half are playable, but what is the issue with the other half? Are they visible in Sonos, can you play then skip, are they not visible at all, are they visible in Sonos but you can't add to the queue, can you see the files in the Sonos folder view etc etc. We will need to know the actual problem as this will help us to point you in the right direction.

db
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 06:17 AM

dpaton,

Is it always the same tracks that will not play or will the same track play one time, but not the next time?

Is there an error message? Can you see the problem tracks on the SONOS controller?

Can you see the problem tracks in the SONOS Folders view? Will they play from Folders view? If so, there is a tagging issue.

In my experience, Mac's can create some rather strange file names. Check a few of the problem files for odd characters, such as apostrophies, in the file name. If you include the track title in the file name, some of the names can be rather long for classical CD's.

By the way, I have a Linkstation Pro on this (PC)/SONOS system.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 07:42 AM

I can see the Buffalo's unplayable folders on my Sonos controller, and add tracks to the queue, but when I try to play them the controller says it can't because it cannot connect to the Mac or the Lacie hard disk (which are switched off). I know in advance they won't play because the album art panel and artist don't flash up at the top of the controller screen. All the files play normally when the computer is on. As for folder names, why would the Linkstation not like Beethoven Piano Sonata No 7 Schnabel when it accepts identical names for most of the other Beethoven piano sonatas by Schnabel with only the number changed?
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 08:01 AM

Should have added that it is the same albums that fail to play every time, not different ones. I'm not sure what Folders view is, but if I look at Tracks instead of Artists, Albums etc on the controller, the same pieces fail to play from the NAS.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM
Sonos SQA Administrator

Do you have the local libary shared with Sonos as well as the NAS?

Folders is located here:
http://www.sonos.com/graphics/rn/foldersView.JPG

If you have your local directory as well, I would remove it: Music > Setup Music Library, highlight the local share and click Remove. Then re-index your music.

Otherwise I would give our Support line a call. (Number link in my signature).

-Jason

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:33 AM

it sounds like you are sharing both the old, local folders and the NAS shares. You will have the same track twice. Switching off your Mac will of course make the file unavailable if that is the one you are trying to play.

I would go into Sonos, and remove *all* shares so that you have a completely blank Sonos library. No tracks should be visible anywhere in the Sonos library (folders view is a good check). Then only add the NAS folder (Sonos will automatically reindex).

Then go to the folders view (as per Jason's picture) and navigate through the hierarchy and see if the problem tracks are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaton
As for folder names, why would the Linkstation not like Beethoven Piano Sonata No 7 Schnabel when it accepts identical names for most of the other Beethoven piano sonatas by Schnabel with only the number changed?
You may have international characters in the name. Some Linux based NAS units will cough using certain intl characters. It's best (IMO) to use a std US/English alphabet for all folder and filenames. This will remove most Linux/Windows/Mac filename issues. For the actual tags themselves (eg Composer) you can use different, international character sets without generating file naming issues.

db
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM

All the files play successfully from the NAS share on Folder view. The three shares I have on Sonos are iTunesMusic on my computer, the Lacie hard disk, and the Buffalo Linkstation. Do you suggest I drop the first two and reindex?
To make this more complicated, I notice that on the Buffalo share a lot of files are grouped in a folder called iTunes Music, within the overall folder called iTunes. A certain number of files in iTunes Music have unedited file names, ie, they look fresh off the CD, before I changed them. However, this doesn't seem to affect their chances of playing or not playing when accessed via the handheld controller.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks fellas. Clearing off all the shares, then adding back the NAS share, working a treat. All problems solved. Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 11:28 AM

great, you definitely had 2 copies of the files. If they worked from the folders view, then they will work everywhere. I think the problem was that you still had your old Mac files indexed. Turning off the Mac made those files unavailable, so when you tried to play them, you got the error. Sonos will fetch files as you play/request them, so the place where the files are stored needs to be on when playing the track.

Now that you've removed the old share and just have the NAS files indexed, you should have everything available 24/7, even with the Mac off.

db