Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Default Sub settings

Just got my Sub. Oh yes! It adds measurably to listening to music on my Playbar. Just one question. Why would you not want to use the placement adjustment?
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 11:18 AM

krismusic,

I can't think of a good reason, but to some audiophiles any sort of "adjustment" is a offense.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Speaking as a recovering audiophile. I think they would be barking up the wrong tree with Sonos. I'm suprised that purists would be seen as a target audience. I'm pleased that I bought Sonos but it is a different experience to Hi Fi IMHO. I'd be very interested in any thoughts you have on that score Buzz.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 06:32 PM

krismusic,

I don't think that the hard core audiophile is a market that SONOS is attempting to cater to. SONOS is an excellent value, but the amplifiers are not world class. I have no trouble with this because they are not asking world class prices. I'll bet that SONOS would earn more respect with the audiophiles if the prices were higher. In my opinion SUB is an anomaly in the line. SUB is much closer to an audiophile product than any other piece in the line. If SONOS brought out an audiophile amplifier, SUB would be welcome as is.

When I go to high end shows I am very quiet because my Mom taught me to keep quiet if I don't have anything nice to say. Mostly those guys resort to superstition with very little science. They do offer very expensive industrial designs. The guys who really know what they are doing show up with well thought out acoustic treatment for those awful hotel rooms. These are the rooms where I pay attention. The superstition guys simply play loud and try to convince me that everything sounds great while I watch the underlings wringing their hands in the margins, not understanding why things sound so bad.

As a retired audiophile, you made an excellent choice with SONOS. I'm amused by some of the "high current" claims of the super expensive stuff. They'll brag that their 8-Ohm rated amplifiers will nearly double their power into 4-Ohms. This is fine. In my opinion this a characteristic of good designs. Guess which 50 and 55 Watt, very attractively priced amplifiers double? And, the SONOS amplifiers are very robust.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 02:26 AM

Back to the original point, the SUB's 'placement adjustment' is simply a phase reversal switch. In some cases it can help smooth out the frequency response.

Even a so-called audiophile who'd eschew tone controls can surely understand the concept of phase and constructive/destructive interference. That said, many audiophiles would probably run a mile from an active subwoofer, back into the welcoming arms of a badly designed passive crossover....
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. Buzz. Reading between the lines I think we may be on the same page with the high end. I got exasperated that there seems to be more BS in audio than any other hobby. Although to be fair at the extremes of most activities Im sure it's similar. I came to Sonos as I wanted to step away from all that into a system that has obvious concrete advantages.
Ratty. I thought that phase was what the set up tones determine and that placement compensates for proximity to walls and corners. Is that not the case?
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post
I thought that phase was what the set up tones determine and that placement compensates for proximity to walls and corners. Is that not the case?
During setup with the test tones you get asked to choose which you prefer: 'A' (no phase invert), 'B'' (phase invert) or 'no difference' (which has the same outcome as A). There's also a level adjustment.

You can always go back and tweak them later in Room Settings.