Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Music

Old Sep 5th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
It's going to happen anyway if someone with a budget Apple/Spotify/Qualcomm-enabled receiver hooks it up to a Sonos Line-In. Why not at least make for easy digital (S/PDIF) transfer into Sonos multi-room. Many receivers will output S/PDIF. Sure, one can front a Playbar with an S/PDIF switch already, but it implies some constraints (the source must play on Playbar as "TV", albeit muted) ... and you need a Playbar.
I agree. It's already done with Airplay via the Airport Express. But Apple has no control over that, and more than one person on here has labeled it a "hack" because it is not officially sanctioned by Apple <queue choirs of angels sporting Steve Jobs t-shirts>. I just don't know how much Apple/Spotify/et al want to legitimize Sonos by allowing them to market a dock with an official stamp of approval, while at the same time eliminating the replacement sales to those owners who may crave a "legitimate" solution enough to give up on Sonos. I guess it depends on how much they want to work with Sonos vs. how much they want to compete with Sonos.

Just speculation, of course.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc27 View Post
Excellent. Let me know what you think - I've never used it on Sonos. And I'm curious to what you think of how it sounds as well. I've also always wondered if it streams gapless on Sonos because I know it doesn't on web/desktop/mobile.
unfortunately my early eagerness over Rdio has come to an abrupt end :-(
I spend approx 2 hours a day commuting by car. I have an unlimited data contract on my iphone so have Spotify playing continuously via bluetooth during that time, normally with Spotify Radio so I can find new music or old music Ive not heard in a while.

Sadly the Rdio app falls well short of Spotify's when 'on the go'. Even on the lowest quality setting, songs take ages to buffer but I have no issues, even at high quality, on Spotify. I am therefore left with pauses during playback either at the end of a song or worse still during it. Secondly the bluetooth output is very unreliable - sometimes, and for no apparent reason, the sound just drops out though the song continues to play as shown on the progress bar. Switching from blutooth to iphone and its still silence. only way to get it going again is to kill the app and restart it. Obviously this is not what you want to be doing whilst trying to drive ! Again, no such issues with Spotify's Iphone app.

So despite the improved features on Sonos I cant continue with Rdio due to its poor mobile app compared to Spotify.

Any other music service suggestions in the UK or do I have to stick with Spotify and hope for the best ?
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka99 View Post
Any other music service suggestions in the UK or do I have to stick with Spotify and hope for the best ?
You could have a go with Deezer. It has a 15-day Premium+ free eval period.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka99 View Post
unfortunately my early eagerness over Rdio has come to an abrupt end :-(
I spend approx 2 hours a day commuting by car. I have an unlimited data contract on my iphone so have Spotify playing continuously via bluetooth during that time, normally with Spotify Radio so I can find new music or old music Ive not heard in a while.

Sadly the Rdio app falls well short of Spotify's when 'on the go'. Even on the lowest quality setting, songs take ages to buffer but I have no issues, even at high quality, on Spotify. I am therefore left with pauses during playback either at the end of a song or worse still during it. Secondly the bluetooth output is very unreliable - sometimes, and for no apparent reason, the sound just drops out though the song continues to play as shown on the progress bar. Switching from blutooth to iphone and its still silence. only way to get it going again is to kill the app and restart it. Obviously this is not what you want to be doing whilst trying to drive ! Again, no such issues with Spotify's Iphone app.

So despite the improved features on Sonos I cant continue with Rdio due to its poor mobile app compared to Spotify.

Sounds like you had the same experience I did a while back when I tried out Rdio for a few months (didn't have Sonos at the time). I was hoping the mobile streaming improved, but it doesn't sound like it. Spotify never buffers for me - I think their streaming tech is significantly more robust. Also, I think it helps that the Spotify mobile apps cache songs.

Honestly I would just stick with Spotify for now and see how it goes. The nice thing about these services are we pay month-to-month, so it is very easy to get out.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 05:10 AM

ok, so its in Italian but here is the first commercially available implementation of Spotify Connect:

http://www.dday.it/redazione/10483/S...-Fidelio-.html

Philips announced yesterday that he was the first partner of Spotify to implement the new technology and it did not on new products but with firmware update existing range of products

I think its a real shame that what would be clearly possible in Sonos (via firmware) is not being permitted.

Although Phillips wireless speakers used to use something called 'AirStudio' - makes me wonder if Spotify bought the technology and relabelled it 'Spotify Connect' which is why they were able to make this work via a firmware update since the appropriate chip is already inside ? if so, this wouldnt help with Sonos.

Last edited by nicka99; Sep 6th, 2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Default This could be a positive thing?

If Sonos get more competition in the entry level / low end of the market from Spotify this may force them to become even more competitive? Reducing prices and adding functionality.... i.e. a drop in their entry level product (play3) and maybe reducing their value priced products (i..e the Connect, which should cost less than a play3 to manufacture). Or maybe even consider moving into the music service territory to take on Spotify directly? I know they have had competition before but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Does anyone know how many customers Sonos has? I think read that Spotify has about 30M subscribers, of which 8M are paying for the premium experience.
Zone 4: Play 3
Zone 5: Playbar
NAS: Seagate GoFlex 2TB
Router: Thomson TG789vn
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamopolis View Post
If Sonos get more competition in the entry level / low end of the market from Spotify this may force them to become even more competitive? Reducing prices and adding functionality.... i.e. a drop in their entry level product (play3) and maybe reducing their value priced products (i..e the Connect, which should cost less than a play3 to manufacture).
You mean reduce their profit to almost nothing (it's unlikely they're making much more than 10% now).

Quote:
Or maybe even consider moving into the music service territory to take on Spotify directly?
Are you nuts? Spotify have been doing this for nearly 5 years and have yet to make a profit (lost more money in the last 12 months than the previous year and we're talking >$50M losses every year I think), and they're the most successful of these services, how do you think Sonos could ever compete with that starting from scratch? They'd have to be insane to even contemplate it.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 12:51 AM

Default Spotify and Sonos in Denmark

I just quit my spotify subscription a couple of days ago, so am not worried about this.

I might just be lucky to live in Denmark, but my internet provider also has a streaming service, as do most here. And it has full integration to Sonos! Have been waiting for ages for the spotify radio to be available for sonos, but since that it was already available with yousee it was bye bye spotify!

Not sure if all countries internet providers provide streaming like they do here, but if they do I'd suggest that sonos focus on these instead of worrying about spotify.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 02:48 AM

To be honest, if i wasn't already a Sonos owner i would no longer buy Sonos gear due to these developements. The one thing that Sonos isn't very good at is creating a decent user interface, the rest i have no complaints about. Any company can stream music, but in today's market the added functions / apps / radiostations just make the difference. And Sonos can't seem to integrate these, at least not in a user friendly way.

Due to the absence of radio i also ended my Spotify account and switched to Deezer. The integration of Deezer is just slightly better, so it annoys the hell out of me that i can't use all the nice features Deezer has to offeron my Sonos system. Lately i see myself more often picking up a decent pair of headphones in stead of my Sonos system to listen some music, simply to use these features from the deezer web app.

Sonos really needs to convince users that they are able to integrate music services (web 2.0 style) in the near future. If not i think Sonos is going to lose this battle, at least for me.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
To be honest, if i wasn't already a Sonos owner i would no longer buy Sonos gear due to these developements. The one thing that Sonos isn't very good at is creating a decent user interface, the rest i have no complaints about. Any company can stream music, but in today's market the added functions / apps / radiostations just make the difference. And Sonos can't seem to integrate these, at least not in a user friendly way.

Due to the absence of radio i also ended my Spotify account and switched to Deezer. The integration of Deezer is just slightly better, so it annoys the hell out of me that i can't use all the nice features Deezer has to offeron my Sonos system. Lately i see myself more often picking up a decent pair of headphones in stead of my Sonos system to listen some music, simply to use these features from the deezer web app.

Sonos really needs to convince users that they are able to integrate music services (web 2.0 style) in the near future. If not i think Sonos is going to lose this battle, at least for me.
I mostly agree with this. In fact, after years of evangelizing Sonos to anyone who would listen I would now advise them to wait and see how Spotify connect shakes out. I can use the much superior app for Spotify and others through AirPlay but that is spotty and inconsistent. If Sonos would implement Spotify Connect, they would have something much better than these standalone speakers.

If they can't or won't, they should hope Spotify Connect doesn't take off like it seems it should.