Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Jul 25th, 2013, 01:42 AM

I have asked Sonos to provide clear clarification on this issue.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 02:15 AM

I have a Play:5 sitting on my nightstand very close to my bed and I don't hear noise from the unit once it is in "sleep" mode.
Going very close to it, I guess I can hear a noise, but it's really very, very low and it definitely can't be heard at a distance of even 1 foot.

Your dialogue with support is revealing though and just reminds me too much of many, many dialogues with different support entities from many companies in my professional life:
- You (and I quote): "there is still an audible noise ... coming from the unit at all times"; " It isn't very loud and you have to be right up close to hear it"
- Support (and again, I quote): "Could you please tell me if this whine is heard at all times please or only at certain times? Could you also tell me if this whine is very loud or very quiet please?"

Oh my...

I'm not blaming Sonos specifically, as this is very typical of first level support procedures, but it just feels terrible when you take some time to explain your issue and the first response systematically feels like they haven't read your question...

As to the rest of the response, it seems like support tries to see if the behaviour is normal by trying, not by knowing, so I wouldn't give too much credit to this first response.
It looks like the hiss is loud enough to keep you from purchasing another unit. From my own experience, this can only be due to a high sensitivity to noise on your part (which I completely respect!, but which would not be typical) or due to a faulty unit, so it may be worth it to look into it a little bit further if you think the second option is more likely.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 04:20 AM

Switch mode power supply noise is a difficult issue for consumers and support to deal with.

The root cause is that this noise is not considered during the design process or controlled during manufacturing. In a noisy development lab or factory floor it may not be possible to hear this noise (if it exists). And, the ability to hear this noise can vary from individual to individual. In many cases the frequency of the noise is high enough that older folk cannot hear it. If the frequency varies, the noise might be audible under some conditions and inaudible under other conditions.

This is not a new or SONOS exclusive issue. Over the years I've taken up this issue with design engineers and they simply don't understand my complaint. Their only response is that "stare" indicating that I'm a wacko who needs to get a life. For some reason US engineers are the worst because they feel that power supply is inevitable and they are wasting time attempting to deal with it. European engineers are the best because they feel that the engineer can deal with this if the budget allows. Asian engineers are more likely to follow the budget. If the budget is tight, the power supplies are noisy.

As consumers, all we can do is complain and vote with our dollars. I hope this gets sorted out -- for all manufacturers, not just SONOS. SONOS is just following "best practices".
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 07:46 PM

So then the question remains.... How much money is a sonos speaker burning in idol? I have no concept of power levels to dollars. Please enlighten me. Thanks
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM

How much money is a function of your utility's billing rate schedule, which should be quoted on your billing statement.

For the most part, in the USA -- and likely the rest of the world as well -- power is billed by the kilowatt-hour (a kilowatt-hour is 1000 watts consumed for an hour). If the Play:5 really does use 6.5 watts at idle, then it will take nearly 154 hours for it at idle to use one kWh. For comparison, there's 168 hours in a week.

Many utilities -- including mine here in Southern California -- use a mufti-tiered rate schedule, and some with advanced metering are able to charge different rates at different times of the day. My bill indicates a kWh here could be anywhere between 13 and 32 cents, so a "how much" answer isn't easily derived. It will depend on your overall usage, your utility's rates, and probably the season as well.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Did some power readings today to see what my Sonos kit was using-
Connect - standby - 5watts
Connect:Amp – standby – 6watts
Connect:Amp – playing(loud) – 20watts
Play3 – standby -4watts
Play3 – playing(loud) – 9watts
Hope my maths is right - watts * 24hours * 7days * 52weeks = yearly consumption (/1000) in kWh (units).
If I’ve got this right then my four Sonos units are costing £26.40 a year to run at 15p/unit max.
I get 7 hours at a low rate and have P.V.installed so it’s going to be quite a bit lower than that figure.
NAS, router and switch adds another 22watts.
Nigel.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
The owners of the other 2.5+ million Sonos components sold, who have made Sonos the 2nd largest speaker manufacturer in the world, disagree.
Slightly off topic, but caught my eye as suspect.
Are Sonos really the 2nd largest speaker manufacturer in the world? Who is No.1 and whose stats have you quoted?
I may hazard a guess they are at or very near the top of the wireless network speaker list.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrp View Post
Slightly off topic, but caught my eye as suspect.
Are Sonos really the 2nd largest speaker manufacturer in the world? Who is No.1 and whose stats have you quoted?
I may hazard a guess they are at or very near the top of the wireless network speaker list.
It's a quote of Tom Cullen, co-founder. I assume he has stats to back it up, or he wouldn't be stating it in an interview for fear of legal action.

(Emphasis mine)
Quote:
Hence the Playbar – which he says is "the only part of the home theatre market that is growing". Quite probably that's because they combine all front three speakers, simplfying the wiring nightmare. And now Sonos, which Cullen says in 2012 became the world's second biggest speaker manufacturer by revenue (after Bose, and ahead of Bowers & Wilkins), is moving in to get a piece.
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...theatre-system
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
It's a quote of Tom Cullen, co-founder. I assume he has stats to back it up, or he wouldn't be stating it in an interview for fear of legal action.

(Emphasis mine)

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...theatre-system
OK, I can accept that - I was thinking units shipped, rather than revenue - and after Bose, Sonos and B&W - the market it quite fragmented. Especially if you leave out commercial, that he may or may not have included.