Go Back   Sonos Forums > Speakers and More...

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 08:12 AM

Default VFM: Connect:AMP with existing Wharfedale or getting a Play:5

I am new to Sonos so forgive me if this has been asked before.

I am planning a new system. My old speakers (Wharfedale Diamond IV - perhaps 10-15 years old) have served me well (with my NAD CD system I am throwing out) and still work.

Is it worth just chucking those and getting a Play:5 (£350) or for more or less the same money (£399) get a Connect:AMP to drive the old speakers?

Any ideas?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM

If you like the sound of the whafdale's than there's nothing wrong with the idea of getting an amp to drive them.

Or if you want to keep the flexibility of the cd/nad combo, you could add just a connect to the system, and still feed it through the new source.....

Just remember if you can't wire the connect, or the connect amp (or play5) to your router directly, you'll need to also get a bridge.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManOnTheBus View Post
I am new to Sonos so forgive me if this has been asked before.

I am planning a new system. My old speakers (Wharfedale Diamond IV - perhaps 10-15 years old) have served me well (with my NAD CD system I am throwing out) and still work.

Is it worth just chucking those and getting a Play:5 (£350) or for more or less the same money (£399) get a Connect:AMP to drive the old speakers?

Any ideas?
If you want true stereo separation, you would need 2xPlay:5 and that will set you back £700! Starts to make the Connext:AMP look more appealing...

That said, with £300 "savings", you could easily upgrade in the future to better speakers...
Zone 3 - Kitchen + Dining - Connect:AMP (physically located in Living Room), 4xB&W CCM684, speaker switch
Zone 4 - Bedroom - Play:5
Zone 5 - Office - Bridge, (future) Play:3 or Play:5
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrat View Post
Or if you want to keep the flexibility of the cd/nad combo, you could add just a connect to the system, and still feed it through the new source.....
That's what I would do, if the current set up works. Keep the CDP for the rare times Sonos has a glitch. Use Sonos to access a lot more music, even that from your CDs, once you get used to the convenience of playing them ripped into a NAS.
If you are accustomed to listening to music from a speaker pair of decent quality, you won't enjoy the sound from a single play 5 unit.

Last edited by Kumar; Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 05:46 AM

Default Thanks

Many thanks for the responses.

Old system broken - CD player - hence household overhaul. But might keep speakers.

I had thought you'd get a good stereo sound with one Play:5 (?!), but perhaps not. Hard to tell in the shop. If not, then sounds like keeping the Wharfedale is the VFM solution.

One last question, will the Sub improve those speakers do you think?

Thanks all.

Great forum.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManOnTheBus View Post
I had thought you'd get a good stereo sound with one Play:5 (?!), but perhaps not. Hard to tell in the shop. If not, then sounds like keeping the Wharfedale is the VFM solution.

One last question, will the Sub improve those speakers do you think?
To get a stereo image from a single play 5, you would have to sit with your nose up against the unit! So no, it will not give you stereo sound for all practical purposes.

If the CDP is broken, I suggest a CDP+Amp in a box, and a Sonos Connect as a front end. Something like the Denon DM 39.

My experience with Subs for audio is that they are difficult to integrate for sonic timbre etc with the main speakers, and one is better served with a better pair of speakers instead. I find them best left for the sound effects in home theatre, if you must have those effects at home.

The Sonos Sub seems to be work well with the Sonos play units in this regards, but I am not sure that it won't have the same problems with a third party speaker pair. And it will not work with a Connect, it needs a Connect Amp or the play units.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Default VFM from Sonos

Sonos is VFM once you are looking for multi room audio, affording a choice of solutions to suit different rooms, with unified control. For that application, there is none better for the price.

If you do not see yourself going that route, a better solution may be to just have the Denon kind of box, wired to your speakers, particularly if you already have an i Pod/I pod touch, both of which can be wired to the socket on the front panel of the box. With an Ipod touch, and wifi signal available in the room, you can also access all the music that is available on the net.

And once you decide you want to go multi room, you can buy the Connect for the room, and other units as appropriate, for others.