Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jun 24th, 2013, 03:18 AM

Default Sonos with Synology NAS

Purchased a Synology DS213 NAS so I can play music without my PC switched on.

Everything works great for a few hours, but when I start using the next day, the NAS has shut itself down, and the Sonos controller won't wake up the NAS.

New to NAS, so am unsure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have the same setup to advise on what to do to enable the Sonos controller to wake up the NAS?

The only way to get restarted at present is to manually turn on the NAS, and when I do this, the NAS software tells me that the NAS 'has been rebooted after an improper shutdown'.

Any ideas appreciated.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 03:39 AM

The NAS has probably just gone to sleep, rather than shut down, which is why it moans when you power it off and on again (don't do that, really).

The obvious solution is to find the setting on the NAS that puts it sleep and set it to never sleep. Obviously there will be a power usage cost to that...
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 03:48 AM

dodgysnail,

Your NAS should detect an incoming file request and wake itself up. Maybe there's a setting somewhere?

Sometimes Sonos will grumble about loading the queue if a NAS spins up from sleep too slowly.

When the NAS has spun down a standard technique is to use a controller to browse the Sonos library so that album artwork is requested. When it appears you know the NAS has woken up.

If a NAS has spun down whilst a library track has been paused it's often sufficient simply to press Play again to wake the NAS.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 04:12 AM

Default Not sure if NAS is faulty/unsuitable/wrong setting

Thanks for the advice!

I have turned off hibernation on the NAS, but was wondering if I may need to enable WOL (wake up on LAN).

Even after turning off hibernation and deep sleep, all lights on the NAS go out after a few hours of inactivity.

I've tried another NAS (same model) with the same result. The log file on the NAS always says Warning: 'System booted up from an improper shutdown' with the timestamp of when I pressed the power button on the front of the NAS. Nothing else I've tried will wake the NAS, and if I click on 'restart' within the Synology software, a window appears saying 'trying to connect' but it just hangs there.

New to NAS, so am probably not ticking the correct box in the Synology software, but not sure what to try next.

It would be great to get it all working, but apart from the NAS not staying on, isn't this Sonos gear awsome!
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 04:45 AM

Sonos doesn't use WOL, so unless that setting also encompasses the setting we need it's not going to help.

All Sonos does is issue a file request over SMB/CIFS. One would normally expect the NAS to hear that and spin up to service it. When sleeping its network interface should obviously remain alive.

The fact that all the lights are off and you're unable to wake the NAS from the control software is slightly ominous.

Maybe a Synology user will be along and can advise.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 09:29 AM

Do all the lights completely go off? Sounds like you've got a power schedule set up?
You don't need to switch off hibernation either - as above, a file request will make the HDD's spin up again and serve the data to the Sonos.
Are all the lights completely off - or is one glowing slowly?
On the btm right of the NAS 'desktop', do you have the 'Recent logs' shown? If so, click the 'piece of paper' to see the log - it should tell you what the NAS has been doing - including up and down times.
I'd say Synology easily has the best user interface out there for NAS's.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 03:03 AM

Thanks very much for helping a NAS newbie.

All lights are completely off on each occasion that I'm talking about. When the top status light slowly blinks, I can wake it from hibernation within 20 secs or so.

One important question though, before I shut down my PC for the night, I click 'options' at the top RH side of the Synology DiskStation browser window, and click on 'Logout', as I assume that's what you need to do to disconnect the connection from the PC, before shutting down the PC.

If I check the NAS five minutes later, all the lights are lit up, but when I check the NAS next day, all lights are off, and if I try to connect with Synology Assistant, an error window appears with three options, one of which is 'Press the power button on the front of the NAS' or something similar.

In the log files, all it says is 'System booted up from an improper shutdown', with the timestamp showing the time that I just pressed the power button, no other warnings or errors listed. And I haven't set any power scheduling in the Synology software.

Am I doing something wrong here, or if not, what are the type of things that could be causing it? Bad HDD's, faulty UPS?

Thanks again.

Last edited by dodgysnail; Jun 25th, 2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Extra info
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 06:13 AM

Are you having power issues in the house, that's possibly having the nas lose power in the middle of the night? Any UPSs?

I once had a washing machine that would when running on the "hottest" setting would draw enough that it would trip the breaker with all the servers, so the UPSs would go nuts. Turned out distributing the load across the circuits was the answer....

Also had the logic board in a nas go weird... it wouldn't toggle to battery, even with a fresh set of batteries.... it would just power off....

What type of HDs did you put in? There were issues with the first gen green drives that wouldn't always work in raid or nas configurations.....
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 06:28 AM

I currently are trying Seagate ST2000DM001's in the standard SHR raid array, and yes the NAS is connected to a sine wave UPS.

Tonight I'm going to try shutting down my PC without clicking on 'Logout' on the NAS browser window.

And if nothing changes for the better tomorrow, I'll test the batteries in the UPS.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 09:56 AM

You have no need to logout of the NAS to switch off the PC. In fact, there's no real need to logout out of it all.
When you switch the PC off, are you expecting the NAS to go off at all/at the same time?
To manually switch the NAS off you select the top left icon (4 squares) and 'shutdown'. That will cleanly power it down. You can also press and hold the power button for a few seconds. Sudden power outages are not good for such devices.
Check if you have a Power Schedule active (I appreciate you haven't manually set one up). Control Panel - Hardware - Power Schedule. Is the 'Enabled' box ticked? I would recommend having one set up - it will still power down the disks and hibernate when not in use.
When it tells you the system booted up from an improper shutdown, the timestamp would be that time because that's when it is booting up from the shutdown etc. What time is the actual shutdown?
You can use Synology Assistant to power up the NAS using WOL. Also enable it on the NAS. Control Panel - Hardware - Enable WOL.
Have you told the NAS about the UPS? I don't have a UPS but there is a section where you can tell the NAS about the UPS (Control Panel - Hardware - UPS tab) so it can go into a Safe Mode to prevent potential data loss etc. due to unplanned powercuts.
Control Panel - Hardware - HDD hibernation also allows you to switch on the powerdown feature (recommended).

Tags
nas, synology