Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 02:22 PM

Default Can not connect to Synology DS411

Hi everyone,

new here and hoping for some suggestions (yes... after googling for several hours but not able to figure it out) on how to connect my Synology NAS.

The hangup seems to be with providing the path to the networked share and the response is either "The computer 'DiskStation' cannot be found" or "The computer '10.0.1.31' refused to let Sonos connect to it" depending on whether I try the NAS name or IP.

I am working an a Mac using DSM 4.1-2668. I created a shared folder and copied music into it. I have tried various \\ and //, made sure file sharing is on, SMB enabled, and a few more things I can't even remember now.....

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for your help,

smk
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:22 AM

Sorry, I don't have access to a Mac, so don't know what you're seeing.

If you're not sure about the syntax for the share, can you browse to it? The Windows version has a box to type the sharename into, and to the right of it is a Browse button. Using this lets you browse to the share in question following the usual Network/Device/Share hierarchy.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Make sure you have allocated a fixed private IP address for the NAS in your DHCP server such as "192.168.1.10" instead of allowing DHCP server to allocate random IP address for the NAS.

Create a shared folder named "Music" in "File Station" window in DSM once you have logged into NAS through Safari browser.

On your Mac in Finder of Mac OS 10.8.2, mount network drive through option in main menu bar:
"Go > Connect to Server ..." and type in following mount point address:
smb://192.168.1.10/Music

Copy entire content of Music folder under your home directory (default iTunes library location) on your Mac into the mounted network drive Music.

In Sonos Controller application, go to menu "Manage > Music Library Settings ...", click add button to add following address for the shared folder to Sonos library (follow address format given in examples on display):
\\192.168.1.10\Music

Re-index Sonos library and all playlists should be accessible in Sonos Controller application.

Confusion is caused by different representations of SMB/CIFS address format between Windows and Mac (forward vs backward slashes). Notice that though you enter the address with backward slashes as indicated above (standard SMB/CIFS address format in Windows), the same address appear on display in Mac OS 10.8.2 with forward slashes.

For further details, read online manual in Sonos support site on working with NAS.

Last edited by littletree76; Mar 7th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 08:40 AM

I had almost the same issue lately with my Synology NAS. I don't know if my solution applies to you, but let's give it a go!

In fact, first I created a Shared Folder on my Synology and set some user permissions on it. I thought this would be enough to access the folder, but it didn't work until I activated Windows sharing. With windows sharing active on the same shared folder, I can now access it with the smb://<name>/<folder> link from my Mac and with the \\<name>\<folder> link from my Sonos system.

Maybe it will help...
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 07:18 AM

Default Synology NAS

On windows 7, I had great difficulty accessing my Synology NAS. finally, had to start a subfolder under Synology and then put my music in that folder. Has worked great.
The error message I got before this solution was identical to the one you are getting. Even though you point the sonos in the subfolder direction, the computer does not have to be on once it is set up. Probably not helpful because you have a MAC, but for whatever it is worth.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk View Post
Hi everyone,

new here and hoping for some suggestions (yes... after googling for several hours but not able to figure it out) on how to connect my Synology NAS.

The hangup seems to be with providing the path to the networked share and the response is either "The computer 'DiskStation' cannot be found" or "The computer '10.0.1.31' refused to let Sonos connect to it" depending on whether I try the NAS name or IP.

I am working an a Mac using DSM 4.1-2668. I created a shared folder and copied music into it. I have tried various \\ and //, made sure file sharing is on, SMB enabled, and a few more things I can't even remember now.....

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for your help,

smk
I too run a Synology 411 (4x4Tb) and Macs and have no problems. I'll be happy to share my full setup with you to try to solve any problems but before I do have you made sure that when you setup Sonos to use the Synology share you also let it login using the user name and password that you use to log in to your NAS?
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Default it didn't work until I activated Windows sharing

The same as mentioned earlier with my synology nas: it didn't work until I activated Windows sharing (control Panel > win/mac/nfs).