Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 05:59 AM

Default Question about SONOS network setup

I am new to this forum and have not yet bought my SONOS. I have a question about network setup.

I understand that one of the SONOS devices has to be connected by ethernet to the network on which the music is stored. However, my router is in my TV room where there are enough wires and gadgets, so I have been thinking about setting up an 2 access points in AP Bridge-WDS mode, which the AP paperwork assures me:

“In this mode, this wireless access point will connect to up to four wireless access points which uses the same mode, and all wired Ethernet clients of every wireless access points will be connected together.”

Theoretically, I could connect the SONOS bridge to one of the wireless access points and it would essentially be part of the network.

Has anyone tried this setup with their SONOS? Did it work and what were the problems? I suppose one issue might be speed as the data the SONOS requests might have to go over the wireless bridge first, but if I connect my network drive to the same ethernet switch as the SONOS bridge that should eliminate this delay.

Any comments/suggestions anyone?

Many thanks

Mark
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 06:18 AM

markhambly,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Keep in mind that SONOS ignores WiFi and WiFi ignores SONOS. You probably will want a SONOS unit connected to the receiver. This will allow easy network connection to the router and that SONOS unit will wirelessly support the others. If you don't want music in the TV room, install a SONOS BRIDGE in that room.

Your WDS scheme might work, but it is sub optimal because WiFi does not support streaming music very well. This is why SONOS developed their own private wireless protocol. (and they hold patents in this area)
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 06:19 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Using a Wi-Fi link is not supported. Wi-Fi is not optimized for audio streaming, which is why Sonos created SonosNet.

It may work, but you'd be on your own if it didn't.

The Bridge is very small (a little over 4 inches square). Certainly it can be stashed near the router and nobody would even know it was there.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 06:32 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the rapid responses guys!

I understand what you mean about streaming the music over the existing wireless network. I was hoping to set up my network drive at the same location as the SONOS bridge which should both take one more gadget away from the TV room and also remove the need for any media files to go over the wireless network.

When I get the SONOS I might give it a try as I Have all the bits in any case. I'll feed back if I do.

Mark
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 06:40 AM

markhambly,

The only difference between the BRIDGE and other SONOS units is that the BRIDGE cannot play music. You can attach the NAS to any network wired port or any SONOS unit.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Initially I did set up my Connect in the way you have described, ie with a an Ethernet cable to a wireless access point.

It actually worked ok... most of the time. However with moderate activity going through the wifi link (browsing from iPad etc) the sound would drop/stutter.

So I installed a Sonos bridge wired directly into the router and the system is now completely stable. This did involve me having to change the bridge to 'root bridge' to make it work properly.

Apparently, if I had installed the Sonos bridge into the system first, it would automatically have taken up the role of 'root bridge' and I would have saved a lot of time figuring out how to change it!

I should have set the sytem up how Sonos advise, rather than thinking I knew batter
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM

You were a little more 'hands on' there. Normally, Sonos Support will adjust the root bridge setting for you if need be.