Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Dec 19th, 2012, 04:27 AM

Default Need help for iTunes user

Hi,

I'm about to buy a Sonos solution to replace the myriad of floorstanding speakers I have around my house but really need some help around questions I have before I do. I may be missing something but the FAQ pages have disappeared for some of these answers

1) Does Sonos support iTunes Home Sharing? - I.e. can it access iTunes shared libraries?

2) If the answer to 1 is yes, has anyone got Sonos to pick up songs stored in iTunes match (through Home Sharing - I know Sonos doesnt support Match directly)

3) Does anyone know if Sonos plan to support Google Music cloud streaming in the future?

Basically, I've got 24,000 odd songs, a fast (200mbit down/50mbit up) internet connection and want to avoid having to store my music collection locally if possible

Cheers, Andy
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimmo View Post
1) Does Sonos support iTunes Home Sharing? - I.e. can it access iTunes shared libraries?
Hi! I've only got one serious iTunes library im using. And that server is accessed by all other Apple devices AND Sonos. The one local library I have in Sonos IS the one that I'm home sharing.

But you can share the local library form multiple computers if you like. But then you would have to have multiple computers on all the time. I cant really see what use case you cannot solve today with one library home shared, added to Sonos and then accessed by all Sonos devices and iDevices. I think the best idea is to have one library stored on a computer, match, NAS or what you like - then use that for all Sonos devices.

In this regard, let me know if there is something specific you want me to try out.

Quote:
2) If the answer to 1 is yes, has anyone got Sonos to pick up songs stored in iTunes match (through Home Sharing - I know Sonos doesnt support Match directly)
Have not tried Match. Sorry
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I'm about to buy a Sonos solution to replace the myriad of floorstanding speakers I have around my house but really need some help around questions I have before I do. I may be missing something but the FAQ pages have disappeared for some of these answers
Welcome!

Quote:
Sonos does not require iTunes, but you can add up to 16 shares from anywhere on your network.

Quote:
It is compatible with local iTunes Match files, but note that if you have any older iTunes 'Protected' files (look at the 'Kind' column in iTunes), you must redownload them from Match to get unprotected files.

Quote:
3) Does anyone know if Sonos plan to support Google Music cloud streaming in the future?
Nobody knows, but it is a popular request. They do support Amazon Cloud.

Quote:
Basically, I've got 24,000 odd songs, a fast (200mbit down/50mbit up) internet connection and want to avoid having to store my music collection locally if possible

Cheers, Andy
Right now, the only option for cloud storage is Amazon.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 02:20 AM

Thanks for the responses guys

I've now bought a new HDD for the NAS and downloaded all of my Match files onto it so that should alleviate the iTunes / download issues - fingers crossed for Google support!

Now just to buy the Sonos!

Cheers, Andy