Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Nov 7th, 2012, 03:46 AM

Default Windows RT Controller??

Anyone know if there's a Windows RT version of the controller in the works? I recently ditch the iPad in favour of a Surface and the app I miss the most is the Sonos controller - I'm currently having to have my gaming rig on all day and remote desktop to that (I have a home office).

Via RDP the PC client works really well, but it's not a great way to have to do it so a native app would be better.

As a developer, sadly I appreciate that it's not a simple task to go from a desktop app to a Metro / Modern / Whatever it's called app but I've at least got my fingers crossed that the current app is DirectX rather than OpenGL - otherwise we could be in for a long wait!
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Default Another Surface Fan

In case anyone is counting votes the day after Election Day I cast one for a Windows-RT app.

The Surface is an extraordinary piece of hardware and the software platform reaches far beyond anything else in the mobile world. It still has rough edges and lacks apps, but I have to believe it will be a success and I hope Sonos works their magic on it. I've never seen the iOS app, but the Android app is beautiful.
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 06:19 AM

I'm just about to purchase a Surface and with already owning a Lumia 800 running Windows Phone 7 it's getting increasingly frustrating being a mobile/tablet Windows user and trying to use Sonos.

I'm hoping that Sonos are planning on releasing something for Metro/Surface RT in the near future (Win Phone 7 would be good also but not holding my breath over that one).
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 07:49 PM

Default Shocked

I was shocked to learn that there is no win mobile 8 app after buying my phone today. Usually I would research something like this, but the Sonos reputation and quality had me assuming it was available.. So disappointed.

My apologies If there is an announcement somewhere on a timeline, or hey maybe I just don't know ow to find it

What's the word.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentologist View Post
What's the word.
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/w...or_sonos_users
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Default I second that....

Another vote to prioritize the windows RT app.

Love my sonos - and my surface!
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Default Phonos

Windows Phone as an app called Phonos that will work with Sonos. As far as I know, it's not an official Sonos App, but it works. I have the paid version.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Default Phonos / sonos

HI ALL I'm new to this and have recently brought both a SONOS and a WINDOWS RT SURFACE now I'm shocked that there in no app for this. Can someone please let me know if there will be an app???
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddymowbray View Post
HI ALL I'm new to this and have recently brought both a SONOS and a WINDOWS RT SURFACE now I'm shocked that there in no app for this. Can someone please let me know if there will be an app???
Shocked? Caveat emptor, surely. Win8 RT is an entirely different beast.

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/w...or_sonos_users
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 02:59 PM

Default The Surface would be the perfect tablet for a Sonos controller

WinRT on the Surface is a true multi-tasking OS. This means that a SONOS app should theoretically stay connected and active even when you switched to something else.

I have the SONOS app on my Kindle Fire and the most annoying thing is the fact that everytime I switch to my web browser (to surf while I listen to music), I have to wait for the SONOS app to re-connect when I want to change music settings.

WinRT on the Surface should totally fix this issue. App switching on the Surface is awesome fast. Plus the option of pinning the app to part of your screen sounds like it might be cool, too.