Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Dec 20th, 2012, 11:39 PM

Default IP address for sonos bridge?

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it.

I have a Bridge connected to my network (a play 5 is coming in January, so it will then be able to do something useful) and I am rather surprised to see, looking in my router, that the Bridge does not appear to have an allocated IP address.

The Bridge has managed to update its software, so all is definitely working, but I find the absence of an IP address surprising. I'm wondering whether:
- the bridge acts as a sort of ethernet switch and therefore doesn't need an IP address
- the bridge accesses the network so infrequently that the router has 'forgotten' about it

Does anyone know?
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Welcome to the forums!

You could try the following: go to 'Help' in the Sonos Desktop Controller, click 'About my Sonos System' and you should be able to see the IP address of your Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 x Bridge ● Connect + Quad 33-303 + 2 x B&W DM7 ● 2 x Play:1 ● Play:3 ● 2 x Play:5 ● 2TB Western Digital MyBookWorld NAS ● Controllers: iPad, iPad Mini, MacBook Air, Samsung Galaxy S2, Win7 64 PC, Win8 64 PC
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 02:21 AM

You're mistaken, the Bridge will definitely have an IP address, it wouldn't be able to function otherwise.

I'm assuming you have your Bridge wired directly to the router you're looking at but you haven't described your network in any detail so that is only an assumption.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRoberts View Post
- the bridge acts as a sort of ethernet switch and therefore doesn't need an IP address
The Bridge is a switch, but it has an internal IP for management and system control.

Quote:
- the bridge accesses the network so infrequently that the router has 'forgotten' about it
It should renew its IP lease every 24 hours. If the router's been power-cycled recently it could have 'forgotten' about the IP.
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 02:06 AM

Thank you all, that all makes perfect sense.

I have now successfully set up my router to reserve an IP address for the Bridge.

Looking forward to the imminent arrival of a play 5.