Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 01:33 AM

Question Sonos and Android

Has anyone been able to find a good working app that allows the Sonos to pull from an Android device?

My Sonos kit hasnt arrived yet so im at the cancelling stage if its not possible. Although Sonos do not claim to be able to do this, none of the videos or anything else from the website etc state that it cant.

Also i work in a retailers that carry the product and the way it was set up and explained to us (via an htc handset) is that it is capable of pulling from mobile devices.

I looked at Samba as suggested in other threads, also Skifta and iMedia Lite......my droids are both on JellyBean which may also cause an issue but i can go back to i.c.s if need be.

Dont know who takes the feedback but it would be better if Sonos could make it completely crystal clear on all of the blurb/website etc etc that it DOES NOT pull direct from mobile devices and needs a PC or NAS to do this. Something to look at for Sonos for the future with mobile devices being more popular than ever!

Thanks to anyone that can help
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 03:10 AM

Welcome to the forums.

In the specs for each of the players in http://www.sonos.com/shop/ it states:
Quote:
OPERATING SYSTEMS (FOR STORED FILES)

Windows® XP SP3 and higher; Mac OS X v10.6 and higher; NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices supporting CIFS
That seems pretty clear to me.

I've never tried Samba etc on my Android devices, but it might work. I'd be interested to hear too. The traditional objection that mobile devices would need to be accessed over WiFi could be addressed by using the Android SonosNet option, but of course streams could be disrupted by roaming between Sonos units if the device was carried around.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 03:26 AM

fair point on the product info in the shop....

the demo video is misleading and the sonos rep was misleading so i still stand my ground on that.

Ive contacted the developers of Skifta for Android and he/she is 100% their app will work to let the Sonos take the files direct from my phone/tablet as they use Sonos in the office and regularly take the Sonos to demo on roadshows.

They have said i may just have to alter my upnp settings which i am now looking into.....which seems could cause a second issue as its the Virgin superdud we have lol. According to the VM forum it is only when using Spotify there are issues - the cure in general seems to be reducing the connection speed to 145mbps and selecting channel 6 or 9 and the Sonos channel to 11......but thats something i can feed back when ive tried it.

Otherwise it seems you have to put it (superhub) into modem mode and connect another router.

Can you tell me more about the Android Sonosnet thingy.....my device and sonos would not be far from each other
All way above my station but im happy to give anything a go and learn from it

Anyhoo - it was nice to hear back so quickly from Skifta and yourself. Where theres a will theres a way
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 03:53 AM

It won't be the first time in the known universe that a rep hasn't had the full story...

I don't see how UPnP settings have any relevance for SMB file sharing off Android. Sonos should just need a Netbios name resolution of the devicename. UPnP router settings can sometimes get in the way of Sonos controller discovery of the players, but this seems to be because the SSDP (i.e. UPnP) discovery broadcasts are been accidentally interfered with by the router's UPnP gateway control code. Most routers shouldn't present a problem.

Complaints about the VM SuperHub have featured here from time to time, but as you say there's always the option to put it in modem mode and run your own router instead. Whatever you choose, our standard advice is not to use any speed setting above 150Mbps -- possibly labelled '40MHz' or 'wide' -- as it tends to monopolise the 2.4GHz band and squeeze Sonos. To avoid overlaps, choose only from 1, 6 or 11 for WiFi. You'll usually be best picking one that Sonos isn't using.

Any Android device running the Sonos controller can be set to use SonosNet (Sonos' wireless mesh). As well as configuring all the Sonos devices as WPA2 access points it injects a new network into the Android WiFi settings labelled 'HHID_xxxx' (xxxx is an alphanumeric string which tallies with the unique 'Household ID' of one's Sonos system). Depending on the Android device it will tend to roam automatically between Sonos units as the signal level from its current access point falls away.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 04:13 AM

As a side note, I don't think Android has SMB support by default, it is usually implemented by 3rd party ROMs. Because of that, it is hard to justify marketing such a feature.

However, even though Sonos can't index and browse music from an Android device, it should still be possible to "push" local content using a UPnP app on your phone (BubbleUPnP comes to mind, Skifta as well?). This then works much like iTunes and Airplay, where you control which track you want to play from your phone.

This of course won't work with streaming services, since the UPnP app exposes the local track using a streaming URL. There has been attempts to try and get Pulseaudio going on android devices though. With a system like that, it would be possible to expose the "system audio" as a stream, and then push that to the players. However, with the latency issues that would give (buffering etc).
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 05:29 AM

So with the right app I can send music stored on my phone to my sonos direct?

That's all I really want to do if that is the case. Like I said its all new to me so maybe my terms are misleading.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 11:07 PM

Lightbulb

Not totally perfect but I had an idea that may work for me.....

I have installed a few of the apps that may work and a lightbulb came on. It just clicked that I could line in my phone or tablet direct to the sonos and use the other to control that device.

I.e I can play music from my sgs2 on my tf101 as it let's me pull the music from it if I have twonky, skifta or similar running. Tested and it works!

My phone is where most of my music's at so its perfect as this will keep it free to use and control the transformer as well.

Crude maybe but it means that I can also HDMI to my TV from my tablet if I download (aherm cough) any movies.

Hope it helps anyone with 2 droids....will test etc but been told Ive not to open my sonos til Xmas - sad face.

I'm going to do the amazon cloud thing and see if it works, anyone tried it out yet?
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 04:34 AM

Skifta works fine on my Xoom tablet, playing music from internal storage on Sonos 5. Should be no problem on your phone?
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Thanks for that.....feel much happier with my purchase.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Enjoy Sonos - when you can open it!

BTW you can use Skifta to control one android device with another, and output one to Sonos. No cables needed.

Personally am hoping for Google Music to be supported by Sonos, but would be interested in Amazon Cloud otherwise.