Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Music

Old May 11th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Default Missing tracks from Music Library

Got a new Play:5 and bridge last weekend and set it up. This is my first foray into the world of Sonos.

My network storage device (Cubestation), which contains all my MP3 music tracks was used as the source for the music library.

Everything works great, except today I noticed that a particular MP3 isn't showing in the Sonos music library.

In a particular directory on my Cubestation there are two mp3 files. Both created in the same way, but only one of them appears in the Sonos music library. I've checked the tags, I've tried renaming them, the only obvious differences between them is that one is 9mb in size and the other 5mb. I can't see any size restrictions mentioned on the Sonos site.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to why one of these tracks isn't appearing in my Sonos music library? It makes me wonder how many other tracks have been omitted.
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:09 AM

Welcome to the forums.

When you look in the Folders view of the library is the MP3 still missing? If you can see it there but not in other views then the tags are still at fault.

Could the missing MP3 be duplicated elsewhere in the library? If Sonos encounters multiple tracks with the same tags it will index only one, and the human can't predict which.

Are any MP3s DRM-protected? Sonos wouldn't be able to read such files.

Do they all have ID3v2.3 tagging? (V2.4 can be troublesome.)

Because each Sonos player holds a copy of the library index in memory there's a limit to how much information it can hold. The hard ceiling on track count is 65000, though this figure can be lowered if tag values or file pathnames are especially long. Could you be anywhere near the library limits?
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Ignore that previous question (not that it has appeared in the forum yet), I've just found it as an option in the Music Library. I thought it was a setting.

The missing track is displayed in the folders view.

According to iTunes, the tag is V2.3. I've used iTunes to update it to V2.2 and it now appears in the library. The other file in the same folder was V2.2.

Maybe Sonos has an issue with V2.3 tags as well! I admin, I don't understand how one track used V2.3 and the other V2.2 as both tracks were created at the same time!

Thanks for your help.
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:37 AM

The tags are often a function of whatever application wrote to it last.

If you have a media player software that reads the tags, but auto downloads some art or something, it might stamp the file with additional information. If the application defaults to 2.1, 2.2 or whatever... that's the version.

Also I've seens sometimes where there's just something in the tag that it some players don't like. Especially hardware ones, like car stereo stuff......
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 02:38 AM

I'm also having difficulties indexing music lately - I see the music in "folders" but nowhere else (ie, not in artists, tracks, etc). It appears that it's a "tagging issue". I went back to itunes and changed the ID3 to V2.3 from V2.4 - but that didn't help with Sonos recognizing the newer tracks.

Can anyone recommend a "mac based" tag editing software. I see that mediamonkey is mentioned in the forums, however, does not run on my mac.

Or, are there any other suggestions how to get Sonos to recognize the newer tracks (all .mp3 files).

Last edited by Bruce; Aug 25th, 2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: saw something after posting
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I went back to itunes and changed the ID3 to V2.3 from V2.4 - but that didn't help with Sonos recognizing the newer tracks.
Did you ask Sonos to update the library?
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Yes over the phone yesterday. They took over control of computer but could not get the new tracks updated. Only showed up in folders.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Yes over the phone yesterday. They took over control of computer but could not get the new tracks updated. Only showed up in folders.
Get a tag editor, like MP3Tag, and check the tags. Sometimes iTunes can fill in empty tags, masking tag problems.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:13 AM

Can anyone recommend a "Mac based" mp3 tag editing program? Thanks. (Windows version won't work)
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Default Missing albums

Hiya,

I still don't get that sonos doesn't always display certain albums. I've read a few posts that say that the tags are the problem and I have downloaded Mp3tag to change the tags like someone suggested on this thread. However, I still haven't got a clue as to what I'm suppposed to do. I have displayed one of the offending albums in Mp3tag but all the fields are filled. There isn't anything missing as far as I can see. Is there an error though? What should I check for? A previous post on the thread said it might be the tag itself. Mine are tagged using version ID3v2.3. According to previous posts, there shouldn't be a problem with that, right?

This is all very vexing. I hope someone can help me.