Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Music

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Default Recommendation please- Spotify? Rhapsody? ???

Folks-

Newbie to Sonos here...absolutely love it.

I started out with Spotify but have quickly found that some of the functionality you have directly through Spotify is not available when you access Spotify through Sonos- particularly the radio station option.

I downloaded Rhapsody last night- haven't had much time to look at it-

Looking for opinions on the best option...be it Spotify, Rhapsody or something else...

Thanks!
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 05:25 PM

I wish I could tell ya...we only have RDIO in Canada.

But I love it!
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo1 View Post
Folks-

Newbie to Sonos here...absolutely love it.

I started out with Spotify but have quickly found that some of the functionality you have directly through Spotify is not available when you access Spotify through Sonos- particularly the radio station option.

I downloaded Rhapsody last night- haven't had much time to look at it-

Looking for opinions on the best option...be it Spotify, Rhapsody or something else...

Thanks!
Sobo1 have you noticed a sound quality difference with Spotify vs Rhapsody? Supposedly Spotify has a much higher bit rate so I'm curious to know your experience in the sound quality of the two.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM

I would recommend MOG if "artist radio" is important to you. I started out using Spotify and missed that option as well. MOG has that feature, along with high bitrate streaming (another must have for me). I do sometimes question how "similar" the artist may be from what I originally selected, but its better than having to search for everything you want to listen to....

If high bitrate isn't important to you, it really is hard to beat Pandora, as long as you get a paid subscription and can skip as many songs as you want and not have advertisements...
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM

used to love Last.FM... but now they're all pay services... seems like they're all thinking... ayeaye, they can afford Sonos, we'll make them pay!!!! I wonder if Sonos get a cut! :-( Going to sell my kit now that it's all pay services.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haverer View Post
used to love Last.FM... but now they're all pay services... seems like they're all thinking... ayeaye, they can afford Sonos, we'll make them pay!!!! I wonder if Sonos get a cut! :-( Going to sell my kit now that it's all pay services.
No, Last.FM are no doubt thinking "we have no sustainable business model without revenue".

Via a web browser Last.FM can be ad-supported. On a hardware player like Sonos it can either have in-stream audio ads (which we'd all hate) or the listener pays a small subscription.

If you're really going to sell your kit for the sake of just £3 a month then go ahead. There'll be lots of willing takers on eBay.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:32 PM

I'd recommend Spotify. I used to be a Napster customer for 2 years but since they sold their soul, I have converted to Spotify and its much better than Napster/Rhapsody.
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM

I have just canceled my Napster/Rhapsody subscription after two years and am going over to Spotify. Napster was fine for me, but since the merge I find less user friendly and am riled at the loss of free track downloads.I am finding a lot of stuff on Spotify which is not on Napster. Maybe I will be back..............but probably not.
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM

I really like MOG.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I really like MOG.
Only available in US atm.