Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Mar 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robokitty View Post
The fragmented Android market makes it more expensive to develop software for it.
It's certainly a double-edged sword, yes. For app developers, there is certainly more to think about, code for and test with Android. That translates to longer development cycles and more expense.

On the other hand, consumers may appreciate being able to choose from different hardware vendors, none of whom can misappropriate the platform or easily lock in their users.

You can buy an Android tablet for $99 or $799. There's one for every thickness of wallet and that makes the specs of each quite different. It's both a blessing and a curse.
(+ 2 x ACR & pre-3.7 PC DCR on Linux WINE)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robokitty View Post
the market is much smaller
I say it's just newer.

Development for the iPad had the advantage of having an existing iOS infrastructure in place (the iPad is, in effect, a gigantic iTouch, for the most part). Newer members probably weren't here for the introduction of the iPad, but there was no native Controller for it either at first (and they only had to worry about one platform). It was quite a while between when the official iOS Controller arrived and the native iPad app's arrival, but anyone who has used both will tell you the wait was worth it.

The Android Controller has only been around for a fraction of that time, and there was barely any tablet support at all at first. It will come, eventually.

No matter when that is, it won't be soon enough for some, so they might as well get it right.

And I agree that SonosNet on Android is proof of the commitment to the platform, and that in all likelihood, the branded Controllers are to be sunsetted. I used to prefer the CR200 in some situations for its superior range using SonosNet, but they're $349 and don't do anything else. I just picked up a cheap Android no-contract smartphone (a ZTE x500) on sale from Best Buy for the princely sum of $30. That's not a misprint, thirty bucks. It runs the ACR perfectly, and a bunch of other stuff too. You can fill the house with Controllers for that kind of outlay.

Now I don't have to worry about the grand-daughter dropping my iTouch
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 04:58 PM

yep - you speak true.

Just to reiterate - I have two android phones and a tab. I don't personally own any Apple stuff. I don't want to buy any APPL products, but I am considering an iPad.

I would really like to use Amplitube for practicing the guitar, which is iOS only.

I'd also like to bang on Garage Band sometimes, rather than go to the (cold) room where my real instruments live.

I know there are some Android apps that are cool, but there is far more cool stuff on iOS right now.

Let's hope your optimistic scenario comes to pass. It would be a pleasant surprise.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:30 AM

Default Agree with first poster

Using Sonos app with Asus Prime sucks BIG time. Get it sorted, we are living in 2012 and Android 4.0 outsells iXXXX units.

Last edited by buzz; Mar 28th, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: This is a family place
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:44 AM

I feel like I have been fooled. I have just purchased the Sonos Connect. The plan is to do an extensive system in our house with it. We have two Android phones and two tablets. The plan is to mount one of the tablets on the wall in the center of the house and one in the home theatre. Sonos will be the main source of audio in all the rooms, 8 in total.

The reason I say I was fooled is because I have used the ipad version at a friends house. I then did some research and find all these news about a proper Android tablet version of Sonos control been released. As we all know it is not a proper tablet version.

I am very hopeful that an update is coming soon, please!
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Default Tablet adaption PLZ

Got Acer Iconica 510 for controlling my Sonos system, but all i can say is that i really really needs to be adapted to work well with tablets in Horizontal mode.
Its a BIG backdraw that this isn't working at all and a HUGE dissapointment when comparing to the iOS version.
Honestly cannot be that difficult to port the functionality of the iOS app?

Hopefully something will happend soon though, as the market for tablets are expected to explode now
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Sonos Controller on Android beta claims completely new tablet experience:

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=30088