Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Jan 5th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Default WiFi channel

I'm researching a problem whereby one of my wireless zoneplayers keeps dropping off. The obvious thing to try first would seem to be - change the WiFi channel. So I go to File - Preferences - Advanced (this is in the windows GUI, V3.6), where I'm told that my sonos system determines the best wireless channel to use, but if I think I know best, I can override this setting and change the channel. And I'm given 3 choices: 1, 6, 11.

Isn't there something wrong with this picture? Shouldn't I expect to see 4 options: channel 1, 6, 11, or let my Sonos system decide? If the GUI forces me to choose a channel, doesn't that invalidate the promise that the Sonos system will choose the best channel for me?
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM

It doesn't constantly channel hop looking for the best option. It picks one on installation and stays with it.

Judging by the number of wireless interference threads we get here, I doubt it puts much thought into that selection
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM

In my opinion, setting things to "Auto" is not a great idea. It seems great on quick inspection, but it ends up creating a multi-player version of wack-a-mole. A given player is both the "wack" and the "mole" to other players. depending on your point of view, one "scores" when one is briefly able to slip a communication through or block the others.

SONOS is not a simple, single point device. Changing the channel means that all units must be notified and change simultaneously or one or more units will be stranded. In a congested area it is likely that each of the units will spend a good portion of its time looking for team members who are looking for team members -- ships passing in the night.