Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jan 5th, 2012, 06:22 AM

Default Whats Better? Wired or Wireless? And what am I using?

Hi

Just bought a new Sonos setup and so far, with the exception of the odd drop out when using Spotify, I am very pleased?

I have a Sonos Connect plugged into my amp. The Connect is connected to my wired network.

My first question is - what is the Connect using to stream music - is it doing it wirelessly or via the wired connection....and how do you test if once is better than the other?

My second question - whats the better way to connec to the amp - optical or via the supplied phono leads?

cheers

Paul
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 06:53 AM

I am assuming that if the Connect is the only Sonos device you have then it is connecting via a wired network link - Sonos kit cannot connect to any wireless network and can only talk to other Sonos devices through the SonosNet wireless mesh which, with one device only, you don't have.

Technically the digital connection is better than the phono/RCA leads but whether you can tell the difference is down to your ears
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:18 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTubby View Post
My first question is - what is the Connect using to stream music - is it doing it wirelessly or via the wired connection....and how do you test if once is better than the other?
Sonos ZonePlayers assume the wired connection is better than its wireless, which, barring component failures (bad cables, defective switch/router, etc), it the right assumption. This 'Getting Started' sub-forum isn't the place to get under the hood of the Sonos connections, but if you're adventurous, you can search the forum for 'Network Matrix'. That doesn't apply, of course, if you only have one device, since there's no matrix to be had. A single device is wired by default.

The Sonos wireless -- SonosNet -- is separate and different from your network's WiFi. Neither of those wireless systems sees the other.

Quote:
My second question - whats the better way to connec to the amp - optical or via the supplied phono leads?
This question is actually "what's better, the Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) in the Sonos or in my amp?" Only you can answer that. If you have a $200 Home Theater In A Box system, it's just about certain the Sonos DAC is better. If you've got a megabucks system, it's likely your DAC is better. In a wide swath of the middle, it probably doesn't matter.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Hi

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I also have a bridge in my study connected to my router (which is both hardwired and wireless) and a play 3 in my kitchen which is hardwired as well.

I have a choice of 2 amps. My NAD 323bee or my old Yamaha AV amp. I initially connected to my stereo amp but switched to passing the signal through my yamaha amp to my stereo amp as this allows me to use the sub woofer connected to my av amp.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM

"This question is actually "what's better, the Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) in the Sonos or in my amp?" Only you can answer that. If you have a $200 Home Theater In A Box system, it's just about certain the Sonos DAC is better. If you've got a megabucks system, it's likely your DAC is better. In a wide swath of the middle, it probably doesn't matter."

Hmmm, I didn't think of that....so, my approach of optical into my NAD via the Yamaha might not be better than straight into my NAD?
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I also have a bridge in my study connected to my router (which is both hardwired and wireless) and a play 3 in my kitchen which is hardwired as well.
Umm.... if both your players are wired what's the Bridge for? Unless it's to extend SonosNet coverage into the study for using a CR100/200 there (miles from the actual players) it's just increasing your electricity bill a tad.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
...so, my approach of optical into my NAD via the Yamaha might not be better than straight into my NAD?
If the Yamaha passes the optical through without alterations, it becomes six of one, half-dozen of the other.